Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Dream On

I had the strangest dream last night. This guy from church - we'll call him Bro. Friendly - was really angry with me. You have to realize that Bro. Friendly is, without a doubt, the nicest guy I know. He is always smiling. He teaches Sunday School and even does a Family Fireside once a month. But for whatever reason, in my dream, Bro. Friendly was not all that friendly. He was all red-faced with a vein bulging in his forehead, and he was right up in my face, just screaming at me. He kept accusing me of stealing furniture from some family I didn't even know. All I could say was, "I didn't do it! Rhett did!" About the time I was sure that Bro. Friendly was actually going to punch me, I woke up.

I wonder what that dream means. Let's look it up in a dream dictionary. Evidently I am a conflicted, anxiety-ridden, attention-starved mess. (Stop giggling, Rhett.) Who knew the images from my dreams could be so accurate? Let's try a couple of other dreams I remember.

I have a recurring dream about my teeth falling out. That means I feel powerless or out of control. (Yep. Most days.) I often dream that I flunked high school and have to go back and do it all over again. That signifies feeling inadequate. (Are you noticing a pattern here?)

Aha! This is a bunch of hooey - I found one where they are completely wrong. When I was pregnant with Oldest, I dreamed I gave birth to a kangaroo. According to the dream analysis, that means I was anxious about delivering a healthy baby. No, no. That's not it at all. That was a prophetic dream about having a son with big feet who likes to carry toys in his britches.

Whew! For a minute there, I thought I was really messed up!

No comments: